For treating mental illnesses, psychotherapy is often used either in combination with medicines or alone. This is usually called ‘therapy’ in short as the word psychotherapy conjures up too many techniques of treatment at the same time. When someone undergoes psychotherapy, the person who is suffering from mental illness speaks to a trained and licensed mental health care professional who assists him in recognising the factors and work through the procedure of triggering off the illness. If you wish to know more on this, read on.
Psychotherapy – How does it work?
Here’s what e-counseling.com says when asked about how psychotherapy works to cure such mental health issues. Let’s take a look.
- Psychotherapy understands the emotions, behaviors and the ideas which contribute to the person’s illness and know how to treat them
- Identify and understand the life issues or events like death in the family, illness, a divorce or loss of a job or something else which leads to the illness. It helps the patient in understanding the different aspects of the problem which he is not able to solve
- Learn techniques for coping and skills for solving problems
- Regain pleasure in your life and also a sense of control
Different formats of therapy
Psychotherapy can be offered in different formats which can include:
- Individual: This form of therapy occurs between just the therapist and the patient
- Group: As the name suggests, 2 or more than two patients might be participating in the therapy at the same time. Patients in this case will share experiences and learn the way others feel and the experiences they’ve shared
- Married couples: This kind of therapy assists the partners and spouses to understand the reason behind their partner suffering from some kind of mental disorder. This brings about a better change in the way they communicate and behave with each other and what they can do to cope with such issues.
- Family: Since family is the pivotal part of the team, this helps people suffering from mental illness to get better and this is usually helpful for the members to understand what their near and dear ones are going through. What are they ways in which they can cope? What can they do?
In what way does Psychotherapy help?
Psychotherapy assists patients with mental disorder to:
- Comprehend the behaviors, ideas and emotions which lead to such illness and determine how it can be modified
- Identify the events or life issues, especially the major ones like death in the family, illness, divorce or loss of job
- Reinstate a sense of control and positive essence in life
- Learn healthy coping strategies and skills to solve problems
So, now that you know how psychotherapy helps you in regaining your mental state, get help of a licensed therapist as soon as possible.